In an interview with Pastor Terry Jones, the man who planned to burn copies of the Qur’an on 9/11 responds the reporter’s question with an astounding answer:
Reporter: Do you really think that Jesus Christ would say, “Pastor, go burn the Qur’an”?
Terry Jones: Absolutely. If you look at Jesus’ life, Jesus was as people imagined him. He was very nice, and very patient, and very loving. But there were also times when Jesus did radical things. So I don’t think Jesus would run around burning books, but I think he would burn this one.
I suppose this is the reason why people should go to seminary in order to correctly divide the Word of God. Note these observations:
- It is important to note that Jesus did not but exercise force but once. And it was not to drive people into his kingdom, but to drive profane ones out.
- It is important to note that God’s instruction for us to reach the world was not to do so with swords and guns, and in some cases, fire, but with love and the power of the Holy Spirit.
- It is important to note that we do not demonstrate the superiority of the person of Jesus when compared to the religions of the world by demolishing the people of those religions, but demonstrating that our God is bigger than their gods.
- It is important to note that the witness of Christianity to the world diminishes when the church fails to represent the person of Christ. And we again and again and again and again demonstrate to those in desperate need of the love of Jesus, the church is more interested in giving a cold shoulder, more interested in appearing better than others, more invested into politics than people, and deeply insecure about their own salvation.
- It is important to remember that not only will the troops in the Middle East will experience backlash from the predominantly Muslim population there, but Christ’ own missionaries who serve in Islamic nations will do so as well. They do not need another reason to be persecuted and to die for the gospel of Jesus Christ because of the actions of a man who claims to be Christian does not have a clue about what it takes to bring Christ to the world.
This, Terry Jones, is why we do not go around burning copies of the Qur’an.